Saturday, November 28, 2009

segundo dia de Paris!

So guess what I saw today!! ... VERSAILLES!!!! It was awesome! Hall of mirrors and the Kings bedchambers, Grand Trianon, Petit Trianon (Marie Antoinettes estate, I saw the door she escaped out of to flee from the revolution!) and the gardens! What gardens!! There isn't much to say about Versaille except that, in the words of Kelly Boehner, it was 'sinfully ornate!' I went with Erin and we were in awe the whole time!

We took the train back from Versaille directly to the Eiffel Tower!! We sat at a cafe and ordered cafe au lait and almond merenges and read (I'm working on the Unbearable Lightness of Being, translated into Spanish) until we were joined by Sabrina to make a loop through the Eiffel Tower gardens, past the Assemblee Nationale and Les Invalides, and across the Pont Alexandre III bridge (supposedly the most beautiful in Paris!). We then went to the Bastille metro stop to try and find a cafe recommended to me by my good friend Carl, whose opinion I trust immensely. He didn't let me down!! After being joined by Evie, we sat down to a delicious dinner in the artsy cafe, whose wall were decorated with modern art and pictures of tribal women that looked like they belonged in National Geographic. And the best part? When the waitress took us to our booth there was a cat sitting on the bench. A CAT!!! The waitress tried to coax it away but it was too sleepy to have any of that, so it stayed and let Sabrina and I pet it until I jousteled it on a trip back from the bathroom. Anyone who knows me knows that finding a cat in my chair is pretty much the best thing that could happen to me, even in a restaurant. It was great!!

We ended out night with a jaunt past the Moulin Rouge (the letters M O U were blacked out... according to Evie, it was asian night...) and a hilarious encounter with the witty workers at a grocery store that ended up employing basically everyone in the store as translators.

This city has claimed anther one... I am in love with Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment