Sunday, November 29, 2009

dia final de Paris!

Hi everyone!

So it is my last day in Paris and I am very very sad to be leaving. Usually after a weekend of frantic museum hopping and expensive meals, I am ready to be back in Barcelona. Not this time, I already feel so at home here I just don't feel even remotely done, even considering the fact that I will most likely have to return in the near future because I will miss it too much.

But my last day was perfect! I started with a trip to the Musee d'Orsay, which has an INCREDIBLE collection of impressionism and post-impressionism. I nearly died in the room of Cezannes, his work is just so incredibly gorgeous. Degas as well, so lovely! But the best part for me was a temporary exhibit on Art Nouveau revival in the 1960 and 1970s. It was such a well done exhibit, they juxtaposed the original Art Nouveau from the turn of the century with examples from the later decades that drew on it for inspiration. The exhibit had a huge collection of 'psychadelic art,' meaning concert posters, album covers, and magazine articles!

As if all this wasn't enough, I walked into one of the rooms only to find myself face to face with the original copies of 3 illustrations by Aubrey Beardsley, who is an incredible illustrator that I am actually obsessed with right now. Aubrey Beardsley!!! I had to sit down and collect myself I was so shocked and excited!! One illustration, 'Salome,' is actually saved on my desktop right now! His illustrations are so incredibly gorgeous and brilliant, it was such an amazing experience to see them in person.



"Salomé," or "The Peacock Skirt" by Aubrey Beardsley. Source: The Victorian Web

I was also able to see more Van Gogh (I went to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam!), some symbolism art by Klimpt and Bocklin, and so much impressionism! Monet, Manet, Pissaro, Renior... incredible! I loved this museum.

Next I met all the girls in my group (Erin, Evie, Sabrina, and Staci) to take a picture in front of the other Arc de Triomph (it had to be done!) and then we all made our way to the famous Shakespeare and Co. bookstore, located along the Seine across from Notre Dame, to do some intellectual browsing. I asked a worker if they had any books with Beardsley illustrations in stock, and while she sadly informed me that they didn't, she was excited about my asking and told me that she LOVES him as well! I bought two other books instead, which she stamped so they now say 'Shakespeare and Co.' on the inside cover. Then I spent a few hours reading back at the hostel in Montmartre.

We went to a restaurant recommended by Rick Steves (haha!) which was actually awesome, then Erin and I went to the Eiffel Tower so I could spend my last night watching the light show up close and riding the carousel! Then, after stopping by the Christmas market for the third time so we could get chocolate and I could get a snack for the train ride, we came back here.

And here I am. I have fallen in love with this city and I am so sad to leave but for me its been a perfect weekend and a perfect introduction to this city that I hope to visit many more times in the years to come!

Bon soir!

Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment